I love using my leftover Crockpot Carnitas to make a quick and easy enchilada casserole! This recipe is a great one to try when you still have a fair amount of shredded meat leftover and really is a completely new meal that your family will love! This recipe builds off my Crockpot Carnitas recipe, but you can also use shredded chicken, ground beef, or even black beans! Many of you have asked me how to use leftovers that taste good and hold up when reheated and this is the perfect solution.
Since I have a stocked pantry, I’m was able to grab some canned tomatoes and chili powder to make a quick sauce. Here is my stocked pantry list here if you want to see what I stock regularly. It is invaluable when it comes to repurposing leftovers!
This was a recipe that my Mom made quite often and one that I made for my children. I am now passing it down to you!
Enchilada Sauce Ingredients:
1 28-ounce can whole, peeled San Marzano Tomatoes
2 T Chili Powder
1 tsp. Ancho Chili Powder
½ tsp. Garlic powder
½ tsp. Onion powder
1 tsp. Salt
Pepper to taste
1. In a blender, add tomatoes and all the seasonings.
2. Blend until smooth and set aside.
2 C Shredded Cheddar, pepper-jack or Mexican melting cheese
15 corn tortillas (or Siete tortillas for a grain-free option)
2 C of your Enchilada Sauce
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a 9×13 baking dish, spread a thin layer of sauce on the bottom of the pan.
3. Spread a layer of corn tortillas on top of the sauce, trimming the tortillas so they do not overlap.
4. Layer half of the carnitas over top of tortillas, following up with ⅓ of the cheese and ⅓ of the sauce.
5. Repeat layer one more time.
6. Top off casserole with the last layer of tortillas, sauce, and cheese.
7. Bake until the top is golden brown and the cheese is bubbly..about 30 minutes.
8. Serve with salsa, sour cream and a dollop of guacamole.
© The Sown Life LLC, 2019