I love this stove top recipe because it only takes a few hours to make. While I really like the crockpot it’s nice to have a recipe on hand that doesn’t involve getting that out every time. Making shredded beef is much easier than you might think! I make this recipe often at home, it’s so nutrient dense and simple, we love it. One thing I think is key: to mix your own seasoning from really high-quality spices. It makes such a big difference in the flavor! I get my meat from a farm which tastes way better in my opinion. This recipe is so diverse, you can eat it in a taco, enchilada or on some nachos. You can also have it for breakfast over an omelet or huevos rancheros or just on top of a salad. I can’t tell you enough how incredible the flavor is. You’ll just have to make it yourself! This recipe also freezes really well so it’s a great idea to make lots and freeze some for a future meal!
2 lb. Chuck Roast cut into 4 pieces and rubbed with Mexican blend seasoning
1 large yellow onion, chopped
2 jalapeno peppers, stemmed, seeded and very finely chopped
1 28 ounce can San Marzano whole tomatoes in their juice, or 2 cups chopped ripe tomatoes
1 cup beef stock
Avocado oil or rendered pork fat
Mexican Blend Seasoning:
1 tsp. Cumin
½ tsp. Ancho Chili Powder
½ tsp. Chipotle Chili Powder
1 tsp. Sea salt
Freshly ground pepper
1. Rub seasoning liberally into the meat so it is well coated.
2. Heat up a large skillet (with sides and a top) to medium-high.
3. Add some Avocado oil or rendered pork fat
4. When pan smokes, add 4 pieces of meat to pan and sear until well browned on all sides.
5. Remove beef from pan, turn down to medium heat and saute onions until soft, scraping up all the brown bits off of the bottom of the pan. Add jalapenos and cook for another minute.
6. Add beef stock and canned tomatoes, breaking them up with a wooden spoon.
7. Add beef back to skillet and cover, turning heat down to medium-low. You want the tomatoes at a very slow simmer.
8. Simmer for about 1 ½ hours or until beef just falls apart.
9. Shred the beef incorporating the onions and tomatoes and you are ready to eat!
© The Sown Life LLC, 2019