Here is to all my vegan friends! I have come up with a very protein-dense Lentil and Pumpkin Seed Curry. It is so yummy that you meat lovers will not miss a thing. There are lots of cruciferous vegetables and also our beloved sweet potato. Oh, and don’t forget all the toppings!!! I love serving this alongside the Coconut Mango Black Forbidden Rice I posted last week. This curry is so creamy and delicious. Vegan or not, I hope that you will try it!!!
½ C pumpkin seeds
½ C red lentils
4 C vegetable stock
2 T coconut oil
½ medium red onion
2 garlic cloves
1-inch fresh ginger
3 T curry powder
1 tsp. Garam masala
½ tsp. cumin
1 C chopped broccoli florets (I used thawed frozen broccoli)
1 C chopped cauliflower (I used thawed frozen cauliflower
1 sweet potato peeled and cubed.
1 can coconut milk
Salt and Pepper to taste.
Toasted sliced almonds
Diced cherry tomatoes
1. Soak pumpkin seeds and red lentils in two separate containers overnight.
2. Strain both pumpkin seeds and red lentils.
3. Using a Vitamix, add pumpkin seeds and lentils and 4 cups of the vegetable stock. Process until completely smooth. Set aside.
4. To a medium-sized dutch oven, saute red onion in coconut oil over medium heat, until translucent.
5. Add garlic and ginger and saute for 1 minute.
6. Add all spices and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
7. Pour in coconut milk and pumpkin seed and lentil mixture.
8. Bring to a slow simmer over low-med. Heat for about 10 minutes. (This really cooks the lentils)
9. Add salt and pepper at this point.
10. Add broccoli, cauliflower, and sweet potato. Again, allow the curry to come to a slow simmer until vegetables are cooked through.
11. Taste again to see if you need any additional salt.
© The Sown Life LLC, 2020