Have you ever tasted black forbidden rice? I had no idea it existed until a few years ago. I love the nutty flavor and sometimes enjoy it hot for breakfast with raw honey and almond milk.
This Coconut and Mango Black Rice is the perfect side dish to the Smoky Jalapeno Chicken Skewers that I posted last week. I like to make extra because it goes really well with almost any form of protein. I like Lotus Foods Heirloom Forbidden Rice and purchase it on Amazon. It is linked below! Enjoy!!
1 C coconut milk
1 ¼ C chicken or vegetable stock
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 shallot, finely chopped
1 TBS. coconut oil
1 tsp. Sea salt
¼ C finely chopped mango (optional)
1. In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, melt coconut oil.
2. Add garlic and shallot and saute for 1 minute.
3. Add rice and saute rice, stirring so it doesn’t stick to the bottom, for about 3 minutes until toasted.
4. Add coconut milk, broth and salt.
5. Follow directions on the back of the rice package.
6. When rice is done, add mango (if using) on top of rice and put the lid on. Allow mango to heat up.
7. Stir and serve! I like to serve it with my Jalapeno Chicken Skewers and Garlic Yogurt Sauce!
© The Sown Life LLC, 2020