With fall approaching, I have been turning my attention to more root veggies… like onions! I know that roasted veggies aren’t exactly a new thing, but let me tell you, these roasted onions really took on a life of their own. They became this perfect addition to just about anything. The first time I made them I was having a little gathering at my house and we just took these onions and spread them on bread with some goat cheese. They were so delicate and melted in your mouth good! I always seem to have extra onions around so I love being able to use them up like this!
½ C water
½ C white balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar
1 T raw honey
1 tsp. Herbes de Provence
½ tsp. Sea salt
¼ tsp. Black pepper
2 large onions or 4 small onions
4 TBS. butter or ghee
1. Combine all marinade ingredients in a bowl and pour into the bottom of an 8×8 baking pan.
2. Slice the ends off onions and cut in half horizontally.
3. Remove skin.
4. Place onion face down in marinade.
5. Marinate covered in the refrigerator for 6 hours or more, flipping onions over halfway through so that marinade is absorbing the onions on both sides.
6. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
7. Roast in the oven for 1 hour or until golden, turning onions over halfway through.
8. Serve! You can have these on bread with some of my homemade ricotta cheese, on a salad or a topping for just about any meat.
© The Sown Life LLC, 2019