With fall approaching, I have been turning my attention to more root veggies… like onions! I know that roasted veggies aren’t exactly a new thing, but let me tell you, these roasted onions really took on a life of their own. They became this perfect addition to just about anything. The first time I made them I was having a little gathering at my house and we just took these onions and spread them on bread with some goat cheese. They were so delicate and melted in your mouth good! I always seem to have extra onions around so I love being able to use them up like this!
½ C water
½ C white balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar
1 T raw honey
1 tsp. Herbes de Provence
½ tsp. Sea salt
¼ tsp. Black pepper
2 large onions or 4 small onions
4 TBS. butter or ghee
1. Combine all marinade ingredients in a bowl and pour into the bottom of an 8×8 baking pan.
2. Slice the ends off onions and cut in half horizontally.
3. Remove skin.
4. Place onion face down in marinade.
5. Marinate covered in the refrigerator for 6 hours or more, flipping onions over halfway through so that marinade is absorbing the onions on both sides.
6. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
7. Apply some ghee to the top of each onion and roast in the oven for 1 hour or until golden, turning onions over halfway through.
8. Serve! You can have these on bread with some of my homemade ricotta cheese, on a salad or a topping for just about any meat.
© The Sown Life LLC, 2019