In anticipation for spring, I am sharing these delicious fish tacos with you all! Although tomato salsa is my favorite, I like to make this mango salsa in the spring when mango and kiwi are in season. The sweet element to this salsa really compliments the spicy seasoning on the fish. The cilantro lime slaw is a twist on my basic slaw recipe and is a MUST to finish off these fish tacos.
My favorite fish to use is Wild Mahi Mahi but one tip to remember is that Mahi can become too “steaky” if overcooked so the key here is to just to saute’ until almost done. It will continue to cook for a few minutes once you remove it from the heat.
Take a bite and just wait….tastes a bit like summer!!! You can almost imagine that the sun is shining and its 75 degrees outside.
For the Tacos:
1 lb. wild Mahi Mahi or other white flaky fish
¼ tsp. cumin
½ tsp. sea salt
¼ tsp. smoked paprika
pinch of cayenne
pinch of coriander
ghee or olive oil
8 corn tortillas
For the Salsa:
1 ½ cups diced mango
2 kiwi sliced and caramelized
2 T red onion, finely chopped
2 T cilantro, chopped
2 T red bell pepper, chopped
1 jalapeno’, seeded and finely chopped
pinch of chile de Arbol, crushed (I get this from the international store)
pinch of crushed red pepper
juice of ½ a lime
For the Cilantro Lime Cole Slaw:
1 C good quality mayo (I use Sir Kensington’s Avocado Oil Mayo)
3 T raw honey
2 T Braggs apple cider vinegar
Juice of 1 lime
½ head red cabbage, chopped
½ head green cabbage, chopped
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
2 green onions, finely diced
1. To make the mango salsa: heat small saute’ pan on med. heat. Drizzle hot pan with neutral oil (such as avocado oil). Place kiwi in heated pan and allow to brown and caramelize on one side before flipping. Caramelize on other side and then let cool for a few minutes before chopping.
2. In a medium-size bowl, gently toss together mango, kiwi, red onion, cilantro, jalapeño, bell pepper, chili flakes and salt to taste. Squeeze half of the lime over salsa and set aside.
3. To make the cilantro lime slaw dressing: whisk together the mayo, raw honey, apple cider vinegar, lime juice, salt and pepper to taste.
4. Chop both kinds of cabbage and mix with the chopped red bell pepper, green onions and cilantro. Drizzle with lime juice.
6. Pour slaw dressing over cabbage mixture and toss. Set aside.
7. To make the fish tacos: combine cumin, salt, cayenne, paprika and coriander in a small bowl.
8. Coat fish with spice mixture (use all of the mixture). Heat large saute pan on medium heat and coat with ghee or olive oil. (You can also grill the fish)
9. Saute’ fish until almost done then remove to rest under foil for a few minutes.
*Remember: It will continue to cook once removed from heat. This fish can be tough if overcooked and we want it nice and flaky.
10. Lastly, heat a flat skillet or medium saute pan to medium-high and spray with olive oil spray. Heat corn tortilla on both sides until soft and pliable.
Finally, assemble your tacos! Mahi, slaw and topped with mango salsa! I like to give each taco a little squeeze of lime juice.