I don’t want you to be overwhelmed by all the steps it takes to make this dish. None of the steps are difficult and there should be plenty of leftovers so that you can eat it the next day. This is one of my favorite recipes of all time. I got the idea from a recipe that I saw in a recent Food and Wine magazine but it did not have all the healthy elements so of course, I had to make it my own. The dressing is mine entirely and I think it makes the bowl. Give this a try!!!
3 T coarsely chopped lemongrass
2 T finely chopped shallots
2 T coconut sugar
1 ½ T olive oil
1 ½ T fish sauce (such as Red Door)
1 T finely minced garlic
¼ C Bragg’s Amino Acids
¼ tsp crushed Thai chilies (optional) or black pepper
Spicy Chili, Lime and Cilantro Dressing:
Zest of 3 limes
Juice of 2 limes
1 T brown rice vinegar
2 T raw honey
1 ½ T Bragg’s Amino Acids
3 T avocado oil
1 jalapeno, seeded
1 handful cilantro
Salt & pepper to taste
2 lbs. Skinless, boneless chicken thighs
1 pkg. Vietnamese Brown Rice Noodles (such as Star Anise Foods or Annie Chun’s)
1 large seedless cucumber, shaved
4 cups Arugula
2 large carrots shaved or grated
4 green onions, chopped
1 red or yellow bell pepper sliced thinly
½ C torn cilantro
½ C roasted cashews (or peanuts if you prefer)
Step 1: Marinate Chicken
1. Chop chicken thighs into 1-inch pieces.
2. Place all the marinade ingredients in a food processor and pulse until it is a slightly coarse puree.
3. Pour marinade over chicken in a medium-sized bowl and toss until chicken is evenly coated.
4. Cover and let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.
Step 2: Make the Dressing
1. Add all dressing ingredients into a small blender or food processor.
2. Pulse until desired consistency. (I like my dressing pureed pretty well but you can leave it chunky if you like)
3. Store in a ball jar in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Step 3: Prepare the Noodle Bowls
1. Prepare all the veggies and set aside in individual bowls
2. Toast cashews in a small skillet until toasted and brown.
3. Tear or chop cilantro and set aside.
4. Heat large pot of salted water until boiling.
5. Add noodles and cook according to package instructions.
6. Run noodles under cold water so that they don’t stick.
7. Remove chicken from marinade with a slotted spoon. (I like to remove the chicken from the fridge at least 30 minutes before cooking it so it is at room temperature).
8. In a large skillet, saute chicken until golden brown and cooked through.
Step 4: Assemble the Bowls
1. Place arugula as a bed for the bowl. Add a ½ cup of noodles, chopped veggies and a ½ cup of chicken.
2. Top with green onion, cilantro, and toasted cashews.
3. Drizzle the top with the Cilantro Lime Dressing and
4. EAT UP!!!
© The Sown Life LLC, 2019