This recipe is an Ambitious Kitchen recipe with a few tweaks that lower the sugar content. The cake is grain free and absolutely delicious. I actually was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Originally this recipe called for a cream cheese frosting but I found that the light whipped cream and strawberries were perfect at balancing out how much sugar was in the cake. I hope you enjoy this as much as my family did.
1 C coconut oil, melted and cooled
2 C organic sugar (or coconut sugar)
6 eggs, at room temperature
1 ¼ cup unsweetened Almond Milk
1 T vanilla extract
½ tsp almond extract
3 C fine almond flour
1 C coconut flour
1 T baking powder
½ tsp salt
For the filling and topping:
1 pound fresh strawberries, sliced ¼ inch thick
For the frosting:
1-pint heavy whipping cream
3 T maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two 9 -inch round pans and line the bottom with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, mix the coconut oil, sugar, eggs, vanilla and almond extract together until well combined. Add the almond milk and beat again until well incorporated.
3. In a large separate bowl, whisk the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, and salt together. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix well. The mixture should be on the thicker side.
4. Divide batter evenly between pans and spread out with a spatula to smooth the tops. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until cake is golden brown, no longer jiggly in the middle and a tester comes out clean.
5. Let cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes then transfer to the fridge to finish cooling. Allow cake to cool in the fridge for at least an hour before removing from the pan and frosting.
6. To make the whipped topping: In a large bowl, beat the whipped cream, maple syrup, and vanilla until firm peaks. Divide whipped cream in half and spread over each cake. Add sliced strawberries on top of one cake, then place the other cake on top. Apply the whipped cream and top with sliced strawberries.
7. The cake should be kept covered in the fridge for optimal freshness and will stay good for 4-5 days.
© The Sown Life LLC, 2019