I love beets!! Not only are they great for your liver but they also help balance out your hormones as well. This salad is a really good combination of sweet and salty and I really enjoy the zip that lemon balm gives to the entire salad. In my opinion, though, the toasted coconut really takes it over the top. Enjoy!!
4 C greens (arugula, baby kale, spring mix)
1 C fresh basil, chopped
2 golden beets
1 red beet
½ medium red onion, sliced
½ cup blueberries
⅓ C toasted chopped pecans
⅓ C crumbled feta cheese
¼ C toasted unsweetened shredded coconut
¼ C white balsamic vinegar
⅓ C olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp lemon zest
1 T raw honey
⅓ C chopped lemon balm
Salt & Pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Immerse beets completely under water in a medium saucepan, boil beets over medium-low heat until tender.
3. Remove the skin from the beets. (This should be easy if they are boiled)
4. Half the beets and then slice thinly.
5. Toast the pecans and coconut: Chop pecans and layer both the pecans and coconut on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper. Toast until golden.
6. To make the dressing: Add balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, lemon zest, honey, lemon balm, and salt and pepper to a food processor or blender.
7. Start blender on low speed and slowly add olive oil from the top until dressing is blended.
8. To arrange the salad: Layer bed of greens and basil on the bottom of the salad bowl. Arrange beets, red onion, and blueberries on top of greens. Sprinkle top of salad with pecans, feta, and coconut.
Toss with dressing and serve.
© The Sown Life LLC, 2019