There is the quote that I recently heard which I feel sums up where I have been personally this past year and that is: “Are you living out your intention and purpose gifted to you by your Creator?” Whew! What big thoughts but this is where I have been sitting. What is the purpose of my life in this new season? A season where my work looks different, my family life looks different, my social life looks different and my primary space is home.
It is so interesting that when we face a life shift, we start to scramble to find a new way to fill this space that now feels empty. Do you know what I’m talking about? I think you do. I will be honest with you here: sitting in stillness is not comfortable, dealing with your sadness and disappointment is not comfortable, waiting on a new direction is not comfortable, being open to new possibilities is not always comfortable but here I sit. I have never been a patient person. When I get a new idea I spring into action to make it happen. I am an accomplisher, a doer, a planner so being in limbo is definitely uncomfortable. I am learning to be uncomfortable and wait. I am learning that feelings are important and human. That I should feel no shame over experiencing them. I am learning that these feelings do not define who I am but I am merely a witness to them. I am learning to tell myself the truth about who I truly am!
Have I figured out what my this next phase of my life is going to look like? Well, not yet but I am being faithful at what i do know of myself: I am a wife, I am a mother, I am a daughter, I am a friend, I am an encourager, I am a counselor and I am a teacher. I am pursuing stillness in my daily rhythm, a healthy body, mind and spirit will be my constant pursuit, and I am encouraging my self as I listen and read about those who have worked through something similar.
A few tools that have been helpful have been:
- Journaling -boy, have I filled some journals. Each and every one is a pouring out of my soul but has been so instrumental in the processing of my disappointment, fear, sadness and anger. I needed to unload and this has been the best way to do that without hurting one of my favorite humans in the process.
- Counseling– I really would not be the same person that I am today without counseling. I have learned that boundaries are essential for healthy relationships, I have learned that we must acknowledge and process our feelings instead of running from them, I have learned that my past is a part of my story but does not define my future and I have felt freedom from guilt for the first time in my life.
- Books– Of course The Bible is the most important book to me and is what I breathe in. I am currently working through a bible study by Lisa TerKeurst called, “Finding I AM”. SO GOOD!!!!! I have reread the Simple Living Guide by Janet Luhrs and it has definitely been helpful for this season. I have also reread “Get Out Of Your Own Way” by Dave Hollis and I am currently reading Jen Hatmaker’s book, “Fierce, Free and Full of Fire.
- Podcasts– Right now I am currently in the middle of a Dave Hollis love fest. He resonates with me for some reason. I have been really encouraged by his Rise Together Podcast. I also have been loving Jen Hatmaker’s podcast as well.
- Prayer– Why do I always forget about prayer? My favorite spot has been the patio, listening to the birds and sometimes speaking out loud.
- Nature– Walks are always encouraging especially when my earbuds and phone are left at home and I am just aware and listening. It can be in a park, down by the river or even in my neighborhood and the result is the same..peace and perspective.
I know that you have probably experienced something similar in this past year where life has taken on a whole new look and you are wearing hats you never thought you would be wearing. A year that you could have not planned for or expected. How have you been? What are you processing? How are you doing? How are you encouraging yourself? I would love to hear your responses. I have posted this on my blog where each one of you have an opportunity to share any insights you may have after a year of change. This community has been such a blessing to me and even though I may have been a bit silent on social media I am still here…working with my sweet clients and working on my self along with each one of them. Let’s encourage each other and lift one another up. We are trekking through new waters all together so let’s be life raft for those who feel overwhelmed.
I pray peace for each one of you!!!