What is not to love about lemon and poppyseed? One of my very favorite quick breads comes from and 80’s recipe that limited the fats but elevated the sugar. This bread is made with far less sugar (and a natural sugar source), healthy fats and to top it off is made with whole grain. I used a Monkfruit powdered sugar for the lemon glaze which keeps the sugar load even lower. It has been a big hit over here in the Gleeson household. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!!
1 cup coconut sugar
2 medium lemons, zest and juice
½ cup whole milk plain yogurt
3 large eggs, at room temperature
½ tsp vanilla extract
1 ½ cup sprouted spelt flour
½ tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
½ cup avocado oil
2 TBS. poppyseed
1/2 cup Lankanto monk fruit powdered sugar
1.Pre-heat your oven to 350F with a rack in the middle.
2. Grease a loaf pan with butter or coconut oil spray and line it with a strip of parchment paper.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the sugar with the zest of the two lemons (reserve the lemon juice for the glaze).
4. Add in the yogurt, eggs and vanilla extract. Mix to combine.
5. In a large mixing bowl, combine spelt flour, poppyseed, salt and baking powder. Combine into the wet ingredients until just incorporated. Finally add in oil until just incorporated. The batter should look smooth and glossy.
6. Transfer batter to prepared pan and bake for 50-55 minutes, until golden and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer the cake to a cooling rack.
7. Combine the powdered sugar with 2 tablespoons of lemon juice (adding more if needed), until smooth and pourable. With a toothpick poke holes in the top of the bread. Brush the loaf with the glaze and set aside to cool and harden.