This recipe is so incredibly nourishing and it is so good if you struggle with any type of inflammation! It is delicious while being easy to digest. Mung beans are amongst the easiest of beans to digest so I highly recommend them. The fig and cashew quinoa is the perfect base and I love the toppings of cashews, yogurt or feta cheese to give more protein and healthy fat! If you are vegan just leave out the cheese. This recipe can be modified to fit your specific tastes and needs!
Ingredients for the Dahl:
1 C mung beans (lentils are a great replacement)
1 ½ T ghee
2 Thai chilies seeded and finely minced (optional)
1-inch fresh ginger
2 tsp. cumin seeds
2 tsp. mustard seeds
½ tsp. coriander
1 ½ tsp. turmeric
½ tsp. pepper
Pinch of cloves
1 C chopped spring onions
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
2 C finely chopped greens (kale, swiss chard, spinach)
1 T lemon zest
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp. salt
1. Soak mung beans for 24 hours then drain and rinse.
2. In a dutch oven over medium heat, melt ghee.
3. Add chili’s, ginger, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, coriander, turmeric, pepper and cloves. Saute until mustard seeds begin to pop. Toss in spring onions, sauteing for a few minutes until onions start to wilt. Sprinkle in garlic and saute for an additional minute.
4. Add mung beans and completely coat with spice mixture.
5. Pour stock over top of the bean mixture and bring it to a boil.
6. Reduce heat so there is a constant simmer and partially cover.
7. Simmer for 20 minutes, keeping an eye on liquid level. You don’t want the Dahl to dry out. Add in additional water if needed.
8. When beans are soft and broken down, add in greens. Continue to simmer for 10 more minutes until the Dahl becomes creamy.
9. To finish dahl, add in lemon juice and zest. Salt to taste.
Ingredients for Fig and Cashew Quinoa:
1 C quinoa
2 tsp. ghee
2 C water
4 dried mission figs, finely chopped
½ C toasted cashews
½ tsp. salt
Directions for Quinoa:
1. Soak Quinoa for 6 hours then strain and rinse.
2. In a medium saucepan, melt ghee.
3. Add quinoa and saute for a few minutes to cook the water off and toast a bit.
4. Add water and dried figs.
5. Cover and cook for about 15 minutes or until all water has been absorbed.
6. Add in toasted cashews and salt to taste.
7. Serve with the Mung Bean Dahl and toppings of your choice! Enjoy!!
Roasted, chopped cashews
© The Sown Life LLC, 2020