Every once in a while I enjoy making a meatless dinner, especially with a recipe as packed with flavor as this one. I like to make these when I need to use up some veggies in my fridge, or for a meatless Monday dinner after the weekend. This recipe is gluten-free as well and the cakes can easily be made bigger for burgers. It’s a perfect dish for spring and summer, especially on those hot days when you don’t feel like eating a lot of meat. Did I mention that this remoulade goes great on just about anything? It’s delish. Eat up friends and enjoy food that makes you feel great!
Jalapeno Cilantro Remoulade
½ C strained plain greek yogurt
2 tsp fresh lime juice
1 small jalapeoño, minced
1 T cilantro, chopped
Salt to taste
Mix all ingredients in a bowl, cover and refrigerate until ready to eat
Black Bean Cakes
2 T olive oil, divided
4 green onions, thinly sliced
1/2 red or orange bell pepper, diced
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 fresh jalapeno peppers, finely diced
1 C shredded sweet potato
1 egg, lightly beaten
½ C almond meal
½ C chopped cilantro
1 T ground cumin
2 (14.5 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
salt and black pepper to taste
1. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat.
2. Saute green onions and bell peppers until softened, about 1 minute.
3. Stir in garlic, 2 diced jalapenos, and cumin; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
4. Transfer contents of skillet to a large bowl. Stir in black beans and mash with a fork. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Mix in sweet potatoes, cilantro, egg, and almond meal. Divide into 8 balls, and flatten into patties.
6. In the oven, set cooking rack about 4 inches from heat source. Set oven to broil. Lightly grease baking sheet (I used an ovenproof skillet) with 1 tablespoon oil.
7. Place bean patties on baking sheet, and broil 8 to 10 minutes. Turn cakes over, and broil until crispy, about 3 minutes more. Serve with jalapeño remoulade.
© The Sown Life LLC, 2019