Sometimes I get in a salad rut and I find myself buying the same salad ingredients because it is what I know. That’s when I go back to the drawing board and look for healthy inspiration. I found some with this fennel, beet and carrot salad!! Wow! What a balancing hormone combination!!! Beets detox the liver, carrots help remove bad estrogens from the body and fennel supports our anabolic sex hormones! Can you believe one simple salad does so much?!
1 C plain whole Greek yogurt
1 garlic clove, grated
3 medium carrots, peeled and shredded
2 large beets, peeled and shredded
1 fennel bulb, shaved paper-thin with a mandolin
¼ C toasted, salted pistachios
2 T chopped fresh mint
¼ C lemon fused olive oil (you can use regular olive oil and add 1 TBS. fresh lemon juice)
2 tsp. lemon zest
2 tsp. maple syrup (honey is a good replacement)
1 T white balsamic vinegar
1 tsp. sea salt
¼ tsp. black pepper
1. To grate garlic, use a zester or you can use a mortar and pestle to make a garlic paste.
2. Blend yogurt, garlic and salt, and pepper to taste. Set aside.
3. Using a hand grater or food processor, grate carrots and beets.
4. Using a mandolin, shave fennel.
5. In a small bowl, blend olive oil, lemon zest, maple sugar, vinegar, salt, and pepper.
6. Toss veggies with salad dressing.
7. On a small platter, spread out yogurt mixture.
8. In the center of yogurt mixture, arrange tossed salad.
9. Sprinkle pistachios and mint over the top.
© The Sown Life LLC, 2020