I am a big believer in a diet that is supported by healthy fats. I know that our bodies do so much better when we fuel from fat instead of processed sugar which is found in many of the breads and snacks here in the US. Our bodies simply do not know what do with all the extra sugar in our diet so it’s stored as fat and ends up causing multiple health conditions. Our numbers, compared to other countries, for heart disease and diabetes are off the charts.
Healthy fat, on the other hand, is a sustainable and slow-burning form of energy; which means no blood sugar spikes. Ever since the fat scare we have not only seen a rise in cardiac disease but have also seen an increase in brain-related diseases such as Dementia, Alzheimer’s, and Parkinson’s. The brain is made up of cholesterol so fat is brain food and we often aren’t getting enough of it to nourish ourselves. We don’t think of fat as giving us energy, but it does, especially in the absence of sugar. It also keeps us feeling satisfied longer which means we are not having to eat as often.
Healthy fats are also incredibly good-hormone builders. They not only help in removing excess estrogens from the body but are amazing at elevating our good hormones. When I teach about Balancing Hormones we get into this in detail!!
Here is the list of my favorite healthy fats. I recommend around 7 TBS. a day for a healthy person and around 11 TBS. a day for someone who might be struggling with an autoimmune or gut disorder.
MY FAVORITE HEALTHY FATS:
1. Avocados and avocado oil. Both are high in Vitamin E which prevent free radicals.
Serving size: Avocado oil = 1 Tbs.
Avocados: 1/2 of an avocado
2. Grass-fed butter or Ghee- Both contain Omega-6 and Omega-3 fatty acids which help brain health and improves skin conditions. Also, both contain Vitamins A, D, and E which all help keep your metabolism on track.
Serving size: 1 Tbs.
3. Coconut Oil- Coconut Oil is anti-inflammatory and helps reduce arthritis, increase good cholesterol and promotes heart health. It’s also crucial for brain health and memory and a great hormone builder.
Serving Size: 1 Tbs.
4. Extra Virgin Olive Oil- Anything that comes from an olive tree is amazing for heart health due to the high level of polyphenols. It is also an antioxidant, very anti-inflammatory and again is amazing for Hormone Balance.
Serving size: 1 Tbs.
5. Omega-3’s. These can be found in salmon, sardines, walnuts, chia seeds, flax seeds, grass-fed beef, green leafy vegetables, brussels sprouts, kale, spinach, and watercress. Omega-3’s are crucial because the body is not capable of making them on it’s own. The populations that eat the most Omega-3’s are seen to live a longer, healthier life. I believe when it comes to Omega-3’s food is your best source. Supplements are not as easily assimilated as the fats in a walnut.
Serving size for Salmon, Sardines and Beef = Palmful (about 4 ounces), Chia and Flax seeds = 1 T, Vegetables (which I don’t limit), 2 cups.
6. Nuts and seeds- (walnuts, chia seeds and almonds are my favorites) They help to lower bad cholesterol. Walnuts are high in Omega 3’s and chia seeds are the best source of fiber in the world. They are the perfect snack replacement on the go and much better for you than a processed snack bar.
Serving size for Nuts = The inside of your palm, about a 1/4 cup. Chia seeds = 1 Tbs.
7. Eggs- I’ve said this before, but eggs are so incredibly good for you and should be eaten as a whole; in other wards don’t separate out the whites from the yolks. As a unit they have many amino acids that are necessary for your body and also choline which is really good for liver cleansing.
Serving size: Two yolks.
I hope this article has been helpful. I have tried to keep it brief but please don’t hesitate to comment here if you have any additional questions.
© The Sown Life, LLC 2019